Here is a summary...
Scott Bono. Board Member of SafeMinds and facilitator of this educational autism forum. powerpoint
Richard Deth Ph.D. Neuropharmacology. Professor of Pharmacology, Northeastern University, and Autism Researcher. Powerpoint ~ video ~ video
Irva Hertz-Picciotto Ph.D. M.P.H. Professor of Epidemiology and Chief, Division of Environmental and Occupational health, Director, Northern California Collaborative Center for the National Children's Study, Deputy Director, UC Davis Children's Center for Environmental Health, Director, Program in Environmental Epidemiology of Autism. Powerpoint ~ video ~ video
Lyn Redwood RN, MSN. Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC); Vice-President & Co-Chair of Research Committee, SafeMinds. Powerpoint ~ video
The Attending Congressional/Senate Representation
Diana DeGette - (D) Colorado, Chief Deputy Whip for the Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, Ranking Member
Tammy Duckworth - (D) Illinois
Jim Gerlach - (R) Pennsylvania
Jim Himes - (D) Connecticut
Eddie Bernice Johnson - (D) Texas
Doug LaMalfa - (R) California
Leonard Lance - (R) New Jersey
Nita Lowey - (D) New York
Jim McDermott - (D) Washington State
Luke Messer - (R) Indiana
Rick Nolan - (D) Minnesota
Charles Rangel - (D) Charles Rangel
Jon Runyan - (R) New Jersey
Aaron Schock - (R) Illinois
Chris Smith - (D) New Jersey
Joe Wilson - (R) South Carolina
Frank Wolf - (R) Virginia
Robert Casey - (D) Pennsylvania
Richard Durbin - (D) Illinois
Patty Murray - (D) Washington State
Charles Schumer - (D) New York
Tim Scott - (R) South Carolina
Roger Wicker - (R) Mississippi
The Current Knowledge Discussed
Autism is a biological condition that is caused by toxic environmental loading in genetically susceptible patients. The increase is real, and the effects of this conditions can be devastating to the patients/family/society.
The Current Problem
The research continues to be highly skewed toward the discovery of the sole genetic contribution, even though that population makes up a small percentage of an autism diagnosis.
Move From Awareness to Action & Accountability
- Appropriations Language for specific research initiatives.
- Request NIH creates targeted RFAs with funding set aside for environmental research
- Utilize other Federal agencies such as EPA and DOD
- Get involved by conducting hearings (Oversight, Energy & Commerce, Appropriations, & Science, etc.)
- Engage with Parent Advocates & Families on Development of Legislation. (No one group speaks for the entire community).
- Combating Autism Act up for reauthorization in 2014. Mandate annual accountability of SMART research objectives and progress toward research goals.
- White House level coordination of all ASD activities. IACC has no authority to set policy and is part-time committee
- Create an Office of ASD Research modeled after the Office of AIDS Research (Autism is not a mental health disorder)
- Hold hearings on vaccine safety. Why are some children injured and what is being done to prevent these injuries?
If your representative attended this briefing, please reach out to them and thank them. If they did not, please take the time to summarize the findings and outline a plan going forward.