Here is the overview of the speakers that I found interesting.
Russell Jaffe, MD, Phd, CCN: Predictive Biomarkers in T21
Downs and Autism have a lot of overlapping co-morbid diagnosis so I wanted to see what predictors are known regarding this disorder. The 7 predictive biomarkers discussed were:
1. Hgb Alc
2. Homocystein - methylation, epigenetics, detox
3. hscRP - inflammation
4. Oxidized LDL/HDL - oxidative stress
5. Vit D
7. 1st AM urine pH
Decreased glutathione and increased oxidative stress is a real problem for Downs and Autistic patients so Dr. Jaffe's recommendations and research includes an approach at decreasing this inflammatory process by using a Ascorbate Cleanse. I plan on trying this and possibly trying this with my own son. The research shows alleviated symptomology with use of this protocol so I find this knowledge important in rehabilitation.
Anju Usman, MD: Boost Cognition Potential
Very quickly I discovered that a lot of Dr. Usman's parents of her patents were attending this conference and I have no doubt why she has constructed such a large fan club. She blew me away with her presentation regarding metabolic issues, vaccination, fat solubles, methyl-trapping, hydroxi B12 importance, increases in cortisol, the importance of the inter-workings of the hypocanthus and neurotransmitter function. Once her video presentation is uploaded I will link to it and watch it again for further clarity. There were a couple of suggestions that she made.
1. Decreasing the environmental toxic load and a good resource site she recommended was the Environmental Working Group.
2. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
An Update On Congress, Autism and the VICP: Mark Blaxill, Louis Conte, Brian Hooker, Rolf Hazelhurst
Download Free Handout
This update was in regard to the November 2012 Oversight Hearings regarding vaccines and autism. I attended this Hearing and submitted my testimony, which I discussed earlier in my blog. The update focused on Coleen Boyle, who represented the CDC and was required to further her testimony in writing to refute the charges of perjury, which was discussed in the inclosed handout. Boyle's response was disappointing at best and furthered perjury statements at worst. Brian Hooker PhD easily identified the untruthful statements in Boyle's testimony like the denial of an autism epidemic etc. Those rebuttals by Hooker are inclosed in the free handout.
Rolf Hazelhurst the attorney for one of the victims of vaccine injury in the Omnibus proceedings had some interesting updates. The Department of Justice (DOJ) which defends the vaccine policy had their expert witness Dr. Andrew Zimmerman submit two opinions regarding vaccine injury and autism diagnosis. The DOJ chose to use only one of those opinions, which was favorable to the vaccine policy and bury the other opinion that was not. The DOJ should be asked (and I suspect will be) why the information that vaccines can contribute to at least some cases of autism is being held from the public. Att Hazelhurst also brought up Justice Department attorney Vincent Matanoski's role concealing the unfavorable Zimmerman report into court records knowing that it existed but stating that there is no known opinion or scientific evidence that vaccines are contributory to autism. Lastly Hazelhurst informed us that the Congressional Oversight Committee will be holding further Hearings regarding the information held by United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regarding the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP). Hopefully those Hearings will take place this November.
Congressman Darrell Issa sat in during this talk and listened to the evidence against the CDC, DOJ and HHS. He showed full support for our advocacy work and praised our dedication. This Congressman who heads the Congressional Oversight Committee left Washington DC in the midst of the Benghazi and IRS scandal to stand with us.
It was heartening to listen to these very influential politicians support our cause in stopping vaccine injury. Much of what they had to say related to encouragement but they did go into specific strategies that will aid in our advocacy.
1. Contact our Congressional representatives and ask them to co-sponsor HR1757.
2. Ask for a face to face meeting with your Congressional representatives and ask them to open a case file for information disclosure regarding vaccines or more specifically health related information on autism or other adverse health outcomes associated with vaccine injury. This will force a paper trail and is a valuable function of a Congressional office. "It fills an important humanitarian need and gives the Member of Congress a direct line to the needs and concerns of his or her constituents" (Casework Manual, 2011). This is a great way to obtain hard to reach government documents that are damning to the vaccine policy. I hope that the larger Autism advocacy groups will help organize a list of important documents to ask for so there will not be redundancy.
3. Organize your full strategy to the very end and supply that information to your representative. This shows the seriousness of your concern. For instance if you want to implement therapies that are not typically offered in your area make sure you have the Federal Grant already written and ready to present to your Congressman. These things are hard to vote against when they come up.
4. Ask a well thought out question when you get the chance to interact with your Congressional representative. Give them time to get back with you for an answer and have another question ready. Continue with this question campaign and use it to educate and inform your Congressman.
5. Be present with your representatives and gather together increasing in numbers!
Download Free Handout.
Dr. Frye did an excellent job talking about the genetics and autism. The enclosed photo is Dr. Frye getting swarmed by parents after his presentation. I would encourage everyone to read his power-point. There was a lot of biochemistry described in his lecture and the importance of the mitochondria, which is affected by toxic exposures. A bio-marker for mitochondrial deregulation is excess in alanine and lactate. Another interesting point I noted was regarding the brain growth rate peaking just after the first year of life. This confirms that importance of post-natal assaults on the brain by toxins and negative neurological outcomes.
Some Important Discussed Science
Rossignol, DA. Frye, RE. (2012). A review of research trends in psysiological abnormalities in autism spectrum disorders: immune dysregulation, inflammation, oxidative stress, mitochondiral dysfunction and environmental toxicant exposures. Molecular Psychiatry. Retrieved from http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v17/n4/full/mp2011165a.html
WOW did RFK Jr have a ton to share. I had long wondered what happened to him in the fight for vaccine safety and he certainly filled us in. RFK Jr broke the Simpsonwood story in a Rolling Stone article called Deadly Immunity in 2005. The same article was published in Salon, which retracted the piece in 2011. The autism community had not heard much of RFK Jr. since the Green Our Vaccines Rally in 2008. It was exciting to hear an update from him and of course his encouraging words in our personal advocacy. The grant organizers of RFK Jr's many outlets have evidently been pressuring him to drop the vaccine safety cause because it was marginalizing him from the political and scientific communities. He spoke about diminishing long lasting relationships from publications and written accounts of journalistic pressure to drop this story. The widespread journalistic pressure to withhold vaccine adverse events is due to the pharmaceutical advertising that accounts for 70% of revenue during off election years. The Salon retraction appeared to be the last straw regarding the building anger for the increased censorship surrounding this very important issue, so now we have our champion back and he has a plan!
1. With the help of Dr. Mark Hyman, RFK Jr. has written a book documenting compiled publications regarding vaccines being causal for neurodevelopmental disorders. He is printing the book in a limited capacity and handing it to top U.S. health and political officials under threat that if thimerosal is not removed from vaccines in one year he will print the book and disperse it globally. RFK Jr. is giving them until the end of the summer to give him their decision.
2. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. has recorded conversations with Dr. Paul Offit and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius admitting to their public comments as lies. He plans on transcribing those conversations and disbursing them worldwide. In detail he described his conversation with Dr. Offit, who admitted being inaccurate when describing autism as not an epidemic, ethylmercury not being toxic and the accuracy of the Danish study, which was highly flawed. Even though RFK had a lengthy discussion with Dr. Offit's presumed acceptance of his errors RFK later heard Offit present the same errors in an NPR interview as facts. This shows a blatant willful approach to hide vaccine adverse events that are harming children worldwide. Mr. Kennedy expressed deep concern and stated these people should spend the rest of their lives in prison to which I agree.
Furthering Observations of Stem Cell Outcomes in ASD: James Jeffrey Bradstreet M.D.
I found this talk to be extremely interesting. One point being the use of Dr. Manuel Casanova's transcranial ultrasound in detecting and treating inflammation of the pediatric brain. Another point being that virsus and mercury set off Astrocytes, when overloaded the communication systems of the brain begans to shut down. This negatively impacts the immune system and learning neurodevelopment. He also emphasized that a well synced brain will resist immune system changes. He emphasized the importance of paracrine a chemical the stem cells use to heal and or repair the body. We are a long way at developing artificial paracrine so replacing and or injecting donated stem cells has been his path of study. Dr. Bradstreet also spoke about the reelin deficiency in autism and how that negatively affect GABA receptors and the associated proteins. In my son neurotransmitter function is a huge problem so I was very interested in where this research is going. He also spoke of the transcranial ultrasound as increasing reelin production thereby helping the GABA function appropriately.
Other Science Bradstreet Discussed....
Doyle-Thomas et al. (2013). Effects of age and symptomatology on cortical thickness in autism spectrum disorders. Res Autism Spectr Disord. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23678367
Buxhoeveden et al. (2002). The minicolumn hypothesis in neuroscience. Brain. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11960884
It was interesting to listen to his discussion regarding the minicolumn architecture and reelin deficiency. It will be interesting science to follow. Dr. Bradstreet also emphasized that no toxins should be administered to children for the first 2 years of life while these systems are being organized. He also discussed the science regarding Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) for horses and increased neuronal stem cells seen in humans.
Important New Insights into the Hormonal Basis of Behavioral Problems in Autism: Mark Geier, MD, PhD David Geier
Download Free Handout
This was an entirely new way of thinking about the cellular defects in autism. Already we know that low glutathione is prevalent in ASDs. This sets off a chain of cellular pathology that negatively impacts the neurological and immunology systems. What is neglected in autism research is the hormonal aspects of the disorder and the Geiers did a good job at compiling evidence and treatment protocols the seem to be working on some children with an ASD diagnosis. Testerone levels are typically higher in children with autism, furthermore the parents of an ASD child will also have higher than typically levels of testosterone. Testosterone is part of the androgen family that is shown to be high and among the other classic autistic traits such as low glutathione, and high cystine. The Geiers have treated ASD patients with Lupron a drug to lower testostrone, which in part decreased anxiety and increased glutathione levels balancing out the cellular systems and returning some patients to homeostasis (p = <0.05). I am extremely interested in these cellular systems because my own son has the highest degree of problems in this area. Privately Dr. Geier remarked that treating neurotransmitter deregulation with Lupron instead of a GABA agonist would be like using a scalpel rather than a hammer. He further went on to say that the anxiety causing transmitters might be too suppressed and not accessible when needed. This approach to neurological homeostasis is novel in that it comes into the system much earlier than other therapeutic protocols.
More Lies of the CDC Regarding the Relationship between Vaccines and Autism: Brian S. Hooker, PhD, PE.
Dr. Hooker was instrumental in the November 2012 Congressional Oversight Committee Hearings. His 100+ Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) requests have been damning for the CDC and other health regulatory agencies. He emphasized that we in the community should stop calling it autism except when trying to gain appropriate services for our children. We need to be clear that these cases are sequelae related vaccine injuries. It is also intresting with his wide scope of knowledge that he now can name trace those in specific agencies with knowledge of vaccine injury like Dr. Jose Cordero who now sits on the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC) and helps decide the path of autism research. Dr. Hooker also noted that 60-70% of pregnant women are currently being injected with thimerosal containing vaccines because the fluMist is not licensed for this population greatly increasing their odds for a preserved formulation. He also is very suspicious as to what the CDC is hiding during the years of 2001-2004. Those documents are extremely difficult to obtain through the FOIA.
Defending Academic Integrity and Research: Andrew Wakefield, MB, BS, FRCS, FRCPath
It is difficult to describe the injustice that Wakefield and other courageous scientists have had to face when standing against the mainstream. There is so much controversy surrounding him and his work but now a plan is being organized to protect the integrity and research of not only Wakefield but also other vulnerable scientists that are willing to stand up against the pharmaceutical industry and fight for the health of our children. In order to do this they need to raise money to combat this assault. If you would like to get involved and hold a fundraising rally for this cause contact DAIRinquiries@gmail.com.